Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Long Live The King


In case you haven't heard Michael Jackson is dead. I like the rest of the nation have been in mourning over his death. And it would seem as if everyone has had the same response, no one ever really thought he was going to go anywhere. 50 is still a really young age to be dropping off and I think no one was prepared for how connected we all really were to him and his music.

I also think its interesting that I can't think of another celebrity who will cause this much pain when he dies. Possibly Elton John or Stevie Wonder but I don't know. Jackson was up there with Elvis and Lennon in terms of musicians who defined their era. Jackson's era was the 80's and I don't know if the 90's or the zero's really have someone like that, Cobain's already dead. Which I guess is maybe the whole point of the 90's anyway: dying off before reaching your full potential.

Anyway I'm not going to talk about how much Michael Jackson meant to me. It's true I did spend alot of my time practicing the moonwalk and headbob. I know the words to ALL of his songs. I've watched that VHS movie of him with those two kids where he turns into Mecha-Michael like 100,000,000 times. I remember gathering around the TV to see the debute of "Do You Remember the Time" at my grandma's house. Memories that I'm sure everyone shares.
But I DO want to talk about the memorial service which happened today. I'm in LA now and am in the hub of where all of this has went down but I feel like everyone knows or knew so much more than I do about this situation because I don't own a TV. So i missed the constant Jackson mentions on every channel, didn't see the constant run of music videos. I found out he died, held back my tears, listened to all his songs on the way home, had a shot in his honor and that was about it. So imagine my surprise when i found out that a memorial was going to be held at the Staples Center in his honor. It went something like this:

Earlier this morning on the drive to work:
Radio: Today thousands are gathered at the Staples Center in memoriam of the late King of Pop. Tickets were auctioned off to fans who will gather while celebrities and friends pay their respects.
Me: Aww that's nice.
Radio: The funeral service has just ended and the motorcade is making it's way to the Staples Center where they will place Jackson's coffin on a pedestal for all to see.
Me: Wait...What?!
Radio: That's right. You heard me. Thousands of people gathered so we can place Michael Jackson's casket on a pedestal.
Me:Holy shit.
Radio: And if that hasn't sent the message home...did I mention it's a gold plated casket.
Me: No Shit.
Radio: You're telling me.

I went to work trying to explain why I thought this was wrong. But everyone gave me the same response. "It's Michael, what did you think was going to happen." Which I guess is a solid point. And I'll be the first to admit I have a problem with idolitry. But there seemed to be a missing of the point going on. We as American's have literally watched Jackson live and die before our eyes. From a child to a man child he struggled through life, and NONE of us gave him a break ever. His celebrity and talent as an entertainer were both his gift and his ultimate curse. And no one can argue the strain of his life eventually put him in a postion that lead to his inevitable demise. What I don't like is that even after this lifetime lesson, we as a people or even more so the Jackson Family could not allow this man to finally have some rest. Even after death we still made him put on one more show. It feels wrong to me. It feels wrong that his father who beat the crazy into him is promoting his fucking record label. It feels wrong to me that Magic Johnson is talking about how watching him perform made him a better basketball player. It seems wrong to me to hold his child at a microphone while she's sobbing so we can thrust her into the limelight as we thrusted her father.
I really feel like we missed the point. I feel like he deserved, more by giving him less. I feel like making tax payers pay 3.5 million dollars so he can have a golden casket in the midst of a great depression is wrong. I'm not saying not to do it. I'm just saying there is no tact. I'm saying respect is out the window.

I'm saying I should stop expecting so much.

Rest easy Michael. You were the King, but you were also just a man.

No comments: